Thursday 3 March 2011

The Joys of Northern Ireland

Apart from location and company, another plus to going on holiday is the local culture and cuisine which we wouldn’t be able to encounter anywhere else.  Northern Ireland is famous for its Ulster Fry and fresh seafood.  However when I go there on holiday to visit family and our friends holiday home I am always dying to get my hands on a bottle of Club Orange and a bag of Tayto Cheese and Onion crisps.  Even though they aren’t the healthiest of foods I could love, the fact I can’t get them anywhere else makes me grasp any opportunity to have them when I can.


Club Orange was the first orange fruit juice to come on the market. Oliver Grace was the man who blessed the world with it arrival. He bashed those bits up to make it even better.  Club Orange made a brief appearance before the World War 2 and returned in 1945 when soft drinks began to develop in a big way, after the removal of wartime rationing. Club Orange was refined and sophisticated to its present quality which has endured ever since


Tayto is a major Irish crisps and popcorn manufacturer, founded by Joe Murphy in 1954. Tayto invented the first Cheese & Onion crisps as well as the process of the seasoned potato crisps.  Tayto crisps are a cultural phenomenon in Ireland,  and "Tayto" is sometimes used in Ireland as a synonym for crisps.
Recently my Dad has gained a lot of customers in Northern Ireland, therefore like a big kid any time he is over there on business I get the chance to indulge in Club and Tayto even when I’m not on holiday. Result!!

No comments:

Post a Comment